Sickness Certificates

Sick Leave – Fit notes

In line with national guidelines, the practice does not provide a sick note for the first 7 days of sickness. Please read the following guidance from the GOV UK website:


If employees are off work for 7 days or less, they do not need to give their employer a fit note or other proof of sickness from a healthcare professional.

When they return to work, their employer can ask them to confirm they’ve been off sick. This is called ‘self-certification’. The employer and employee will agree on how the employee should do this. They might need to fill in a form or send details of their sick leave by email’

Sick notes for more than 7 days of sickness:

From the 1st of September 2022 staff other than doctors including pharmacists, nurses etc can issue a Fit note. A doctor’s appointment is not usually needed for a fit note after self-certifying for the first 7 days. You can either apply online by clicking here to download a form. Please fill it in with adequate of information and return back to reception. The doctor will review the information and provide a sick note/fit note if appropriate. The doctor may request you to make an appointment to speak to them in case of any queries on your request. The turnaround time is approximately 3 complete working days. The practice does not usually back date sick notes. Please note, if you had treatment in the hospital, the hospital is obliged to provide the sick note. Please collect this sick note from the reception after a minimum of 3 working days.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).

Non-urgent advice: Return to work notes

A standard return to work note is not needed any more after the last specified sickness period from your sickness certificate.

Your employer may request risk assessment through their own organisation depending on the type of job you do.